Re: [Amc-list] Re; Rack and Pinion Steering

Re: [Amc-list] Re; Rack and Pinion Steering

>To figure it out in a javelin, remove steering box, tie rod and pitman arm,
>select a common rack and steering box assembly, mock up the sheet metal
>parts with cardboard and have appropriate metal bent to fit.

Hmmm, as long as the tie rod end threads match OK, and the steering shaft aligns OK, it doesn't look like a big deal at all.

Taking a closer look at these, they're basically generic TRW racks found in recent Mopar and FoMoCo products. The rack shown for late Mustangs looks 100% identical to the rack in my Y2K Dakota. So I have a measurement reference right there in my driveway.

Instead of getting a quick-ratio Saginaw box for the Jav, this might be a better deal if the fit works out.

Hmmmm....

- steve c.