[Amc-list] Re; Rack and Pinion Steering

SNIP
I have seen those Flaming River ads and was wondering
if that unit would fit a Javelin.
www.flamingriver.com <http://www.flamingriver.com/>

SNIP

With out looking at the whole catalog close, this is what it looks like to
me, a common rack and pinion has been selected for ease of obtaining parts.
A saddle has been designed to mount it in that will bolt between the "frame"
rails of the selected automobile, or something equivalent what ever is
desired and the steering box can be adapted to the steering column using
common hot rod parts and techniques and universals. What ever the rack is,
it can be had with/without power.

Then a carrier or what ever you choose to call it is mounted on the ends of
the rack which moves with the rack and it allows the tie rod ends to be
bolted to it keeping the original steering geometry.

This to me is simplicity in itself, the system would then more or less fit
in the space vacated by the tie rod, steering arm and pitman arm and the old
steering box. Once you figure out the dimensions of the saddle and the
carrier, everything else looks like it would fall in place. Clever it is,
and a good idea.

To figure it out in a javelin, remove steering box, tie rod and pitman arm,
select a common rack and steering box assembly, mock up the sheet metal
parts with cardboard and have appropriate metal bent to fit.

It just looks clever to me!

John.