Re: [Amc-list] replacement steel wheels

Mark, I have disc brake spindles on mine with 1/2" spacers between the caliper adapter and steering knuckle. Been running that way for four years and 20K or so miles. It's a 63 Classic, and the wheels are 7" with 5.5" of backset -- deep like front drive cars or 4x4 trucks. Had to go that route to use the same backset on the front and rear and not have to narrow the Jag rear axle. Jags also use a deep wheel stock, something I didn't know when I originally decided the Jag axle would fit without any major alterations like narrowing (going by published track figures). No big deal, just limited in wheel choices -- but bolt pattern (big Chevy on the Jag hubs!) was also a factor.

---------------
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:09:31 +0000
From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx

I know you don't want to juggle too many things, but what height spindles are on it?
You could put taller disc spindles on it and fudge themout a bit.
I don't recall exactly what that will gain you though.
You could also just add a plate under the spindle to avoid wheel spacers.
My lowering plates are 3/8" steel and have been in place for years now with no ill effects. YOu just need longer grade 8 bolts.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"