Re: [Amc-list] early american front suspension

I agree -- they are not supposed to be under any rotational stress at all. If everything goes well they never will be. But if for some reason vibration, an unseen cracked thread or other metal particle jams it, trash gets in somehow, etc., it COULD start to stick and turn in the arm. Greasing it regularly is cheap insurance, but so are a couple tack welds! It's out of the car, easy to do, and easy to place the tacks so they can be easily ground or struck off (with a cold chisel). Makes it easy to inspect as well. Those threads into the arms are shallow and strip/wear easily. I thought mine were tight, but a couple years after rebuilding a cap nut managed to work off and find it's way onto the highway. I greased mine regularly also. Just a word of warning!

--------------------
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 19:17:12 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

But they're not under any rotational force at all, if it's assembled right. By
some miracle, my lower arms and trunnions were clean and tight as new. No
damage, stripped threads or looseness.

> > CARRY THE OLD LOWER TRUNNION WITH YOU!!

Still on the original set! (Unless it was replaced of course).

This car will get greased annually or more!!! Lube, and the brief inspection
that occurs, will ward off a lot of problems. I do my cars annually, whether
2K or 30K. Lube is cheap insurance.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"