Re: [Amc-list] early american front suspension

On Monday 10 September 2007 18:11:46 you wrote:
> I agree -- they are not supposed to be under any rotational stress at all.
> If everything goes well they never will be. But if for some reason
> vibration, an unseen cracked thread or other metal particle jams it, trash
> gets in somehow, etc., it COULD start to stick and turn in the arm.
> Greasing it regularly is cheap insurance, but so are a couple tack welds!
> It's out of the car, easy to do, and easy to place the tacks so they can be
> easily ground or struck off (with a cold chisel). Makes it easy to inspect
> as well. Those threads into the arms are shallow and strip/wear easily. I
> thought mine were tight, but a couple years after rebuilding a cap nut
> managed to work off and find it's way onto the highway. I greased mine
> regularly also. Just a word of warning!

Yeah, I think I'll take your advice and tack them in a place that is easily
reached and visible from outside. I'll even paint match it, or drill a tiny
hole or indent to ease ID.

In fact they are under weird twisting forces when braking hard. The "A" pushes
towards the rear at the bottom, and forward at the top to a lesser degree
(longer arm above). That could be doing the loosening, and made worse by big,
and better, tires and big brakes.