Re: [Amc-list] Hydrogen Power (was Holley Carb Questions .... )

Re: [Amc-list] Hydrogen Power (was Holley Carb Questions .... )

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" Andrew wrote:
"
" > > research is only just beginning on fuel crops.  more is needed.  and
" > > the issue of competition for food acreage could indeed be a serious
" > > problem.
"
" That's a good point. Of course transnational oil companies are required by law
" and their stockholders (and greedy top management) to not only make profit
" continuously, but growth in profit quarter by quarter. There's no room in
" there for costly 20-year-plans to develop systems that would either put them
" out of business or be useful only when they're dead from "natural causes".
" Likely it would cause huge social upheavals too, eg. we wouldn't be driving
" individual fossil fueled cars (ouch).
"
" It's too bad, as we've demonstrated an ability to develop tremendously subtle
" and powerful stuff, like silicon and software, but only when it also produces
" a continuous stream of treats. If there was a 20 year gap between the
" invention of the transistor to the integrated circuit, say, chances are no
" one would have done it. Clearly it would still have been a huge boon.

ics were first developed for military work, where performance mattered
and financial payback didn't.  maybe what we need to do is make energy
independence a defense priority!  they'll grossly overpay for
development, but practical affordable alternative energy would
eventually filter down to the commercial sector.