Re: [Amc-list] 65 classic sending unit

Dave,

You may have posted more about the sender before but if a new one is out
of the question, what about repairing what you have? A rusty pickup tube
can be replaced with 5/16" tubing from a parts store and a propane torch
to solder everything together. New floats can be purchased and you may
even be able to make one out of some ABS pipe and caps (a big chunk of
cork would even work for a time). The rheostat may be fixable as well.
The cover over them is held in place by a few tabs that you can
carefully bend to open it up. Gas gunk can act as an insulator but
carburetor cleaner and some gentle scrubbing can clean that up. The fuel
level sender in my 68 American didn't work when I got it but a half hour
with some carburetor cleaner brought it back. It does have a dead spot
just under a 1/4 tank but I don't usually run the tank that dry.

Matt

d stohler wrote:
>> You can buy new fuel level sending units that are
>> correct for your car.
>> The run about $100 and you'll want to get a new
> o->ring and fuel strainer
>> which is another $10 or so.
>

> i have found new one with o-ring, and strainer and
> everything from adp for $98. thing is, i dont have $98
> to toss at it. (especially if the wife finds out about
> that...might be the last time anyone hears from
> me...LOL)
>
> i am already in pretty deep with the dam car. getting
> frusterated
>
> being on a paper thin budget dont help NONE either.
>

> dave stohler
> http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH