[Amc-list] Re; NEED 195.6 (forwarded)- Sort of

[Amc-list] Re; NEED 195.6 (forwarded)- Sort of

Snip

3. There is a good alternative engine -- a late model Ford 200 or 250

(the tall deck 200, made through the late 80s, not related to the 300).

Snip

Or the earlier 140 or 170 cu in I-6 but this is also an engine that has

a cast in (to the head) intake manifold leaving almost no options to

carburetion modifications and when new as compared to other

engines of the same size developed less horse power and got worse

gas mileage than other I-6's of the time. This is an engine that I would

not want in a Falcon or a Ford Pick Up and surely would not go

through the effort to back fit into an AMC product that I own. But then

again, that is my opinion.

However I have seen the 2000 (or 2300) Ford I-4 installed in early Rambler
based

cars and that is an engine that has an mirad of performance options

available for it and has a reputation for performance and reliability in

many circles and works nice with a 5 speed behind it.

http://www.fordpinto.com/smf/index.php?topic=6409.0

http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/fordpinto.htm

http://www.racingengines.com/public/sales/4cyl.htm

 Granted, it

still means that you have to change the torque tube drive out to some

thing else but the rear axle of the late model Ford cop cars that I

have been working on lately has a cleverly mounted rear axle with a

4 bar linkage and a watts linkage

http://www.ladawri.com/VintageRace/WattsLinkage/Watts.htm

that looks to me as it can be installed with out serious problems with

a little bit of creativity and the engine can still be located quite

easily

Frankly I would be more inclined to go this route in one form or a

another before I would spend money on any variation of that

200 cu in I6, but that is what makes the world and the

hobby go around.

John.