Re: [Amc-list] Off we go!

210K on a rebuild? LP is supposed to be harder on rings due to the dryness, though cleaner burning and easier on oil -- sort of a trade-off. I'd say it's time for rings!! I'll be interested to see how much wear there is in the cylinder bores, especially if you used chrome rings. Besides, when you rebuild you could shave the head (or block deck) and get another half point of compression out of it. If you're going to continue with LP you may as well go to 10:1. Will have to change the timing, but no big deal.

--------------
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:00:00 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

I've had an increasing problem getting the idle mixture right with this carb
going on 17 years, a IMPCO CA-125. Very tweaky, had to fiddle PCVs to get it
right... it's been getting worse, with #1 cyl not contributing much at idle.

Hadn't done a compression check in a few years, so I did one this AM after 20
highway miles hot; bad news...

Only checked #1, #2, and #4. 1 and 2 were 100 psi and #4 105 psi. In the late
1990's they were all around 140 - 145. I'll do them all later (in a hurry to
pack today) but no reason to think the others are wildly good or bad, so it
sounds like 210K miles and 19 years on this rebuild [about 300K total on
this '70 motor] is the problem, probably plain old ring wear. Very little oil
blowby, only slight smog out the filler if I pinch off the PCV. I'll probably
use a quart of oil this trip, about 1100 miles round trip.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"