[Amc-list] 360 short block for sale with proceeds to go to the Hurst SC/

[Amc-list] 360 short block for sale with proceeds to go to the Hurst SC/Rambler 1512 Registry

I would like to kick off a fund raising drive for the support of the 1512 SC/Rambler Registry by donating the proceeds from a low mileage 1975 partially rebuilt 360 short-block that I will first offer to Registry members and AMCyclopedia subscribers and then, if there are no takers from either site, put it up on eBay with a PayPal link to the Registry for payment. This particular 360 short-block was in my 68 AMX prior to being replaced by the high output 390 on my webpage at www.amazingmusclecars.com/1512registry/memberspages/dancurtis_390.php. Long before I bought the car in 2004, the 360 was gone over in the early 90s but has been driven less than 3000 miles since its partial rebuild (I have the slips with car’s mileage on them to verify all the work if anyone is interested in seeing exactly what was done to it). I use the term, partial rebuild because although this motor has new bearings, freeze plugs, cam, lifters, pushrods and timing chain, the rings were not
replaced due to having within spec compression readings at the time of the partial rebuild. I, like many of you I’m sure, am amazed that anyone would pull apart an engine and do all that work without replacing the rings but then again, changing bearings and freeze plugs does not require the removal of the pistons so I guess the owner at the time of the partial rebuild was tight on cash and opted to not pull the pistons when it was determined that cylinder compression was within spec. That is certainly not the way I would do it but to each his own.

I will offer this partially rebuilt 360 short block which includes an assembled and ready to go standard bore 360 block, stock 1975 360 pistons, connecting rods, crankshaft, harmonic balancer, oil pan and pickup and the main and rod bearings, freeze plugs, timing chain camshaft, lifters and matching pushrods all with less than 3000 miles to 1512 Registry members and AMCyclopedia subscriber for the starting price of $350 which is the starting price I will use on eBay if nobody on the Registry wants the short block.  If by chance, someone would prefer to have all the pieces and parts for a long block motor from intake to pan and flywheel, I also have all the other parts required to complete the engine including a set of 291C heads (although they need to be redone and yes I am fully aware that a 75 360 did not use 291C heads but 50.6 CC heads on the lower compression motor is a sweet combination for a street car and pump gas). Either way, please contact me if you are intere
 sted in
the short block and/or the remaining long block parts.

Bottom line is that I am committing the proceeds from the sale of a nice, reasonably fresh 360 short block in the minimum amount of $350.00 to the 1512 Registry.

With few exceptions, all the SC/Ramblers owners and enthusiasts that I talk to find the 1512 Registry to be a great source of information and education about these rare and unique cars. Current proceeds generated from the Registry from voluntary membership dues and sale of items listed on the Registry cover less than 25% of the cost to maintain and operate the website due to costs for hosting services, application software charges and periodic contractor tech support. It should be noted that the considerable amount of time required to support and maintain the Registry that is provided by Joie Vaughan and other registry members on a daily basis is NOT included in the above referenced costs nor are the PCs and any technology within Joie’s home dedicated to keep the site going each day. Rest assured if the equivalent support time where provided by a contractor, the site would simply be unaffordable.

So are there any takers on the 360 shortblock?  Local pickup in the Phoenix area would be much preferred althought I do have a 390 block that is currently crated that I can pull apart and replace with the 360 if someone really wants to pay the freight charges to ship it outside of the Phoenix area.  The full sale price of the motor will go to support the 1512 SC/Rambler Registry and we are also hopeful that some other members of the AMC and SC/Rambler faithful will find some no longer needed parts or literature that they would also be willing to donate or donate the proceeds to keep the site up and running.

Like the AMCyclopedia, the Hust SC/Rambler Registry is a not for profit website but I think we can all agree that helping to cover the ongoing operational costs benefits all of us through the access to information about our cars and the exposure that AMCs and SC/Ramblers are enjoying in the market place as a result of the sotes like AMCyclopedia and the 1512 Registry that  feature these increasingly sought after cars.