[Amc-list] Six-cylinder Matadors

For about 12 years (@1988-2000) I owned a 76 Matador Brougham sedan with
the 258 1V engine. Typical little old person car when I got it at the
age of 16, had just turned 30,000 miles. When I sold it in 2000 it had a
little over 55,000 miles on it. The 258 didn't have too much trouble
hauling that big car around and I recall getting about 24 MPG on the
highway with it. Sure, it wasn't gonna set any speed records but once it
started moving it moved along fairly well. Car cruised comfortably at
about 65 MPH. And, if you hit it just right it would light up the right
rear wheel for a couple of seconds.

So, the six cylinder Matadors weren't *entirely* gutless, although there
is little to no incentive to own one aside from the novelty or economy.
The only reason I ended up with the car was that it was cheap, it was a
really nice car, and I wanted to save it from the original owner's
nephew who wanted to yank out the engine to stick it in a CJ of some
kind and throw the car away.
People who throw away a perfectly good car just to get an engine ought
to be kicked!

Jeff Reeves
Auburn GA
94 Cherokee