[Amc-list] FWD: Cheap 89 GW $200 - located in southern NH (NOT MINE!)

A: The Eagle was a precursor to the XJ by using existing platform (Hornet) and would have been far more successful had the 4x4 design been a little more ruggedized. Many of us Eagle owners have used other Jeep parts (tcase for low range and XJ rear axle) as well as "other brand" things like S10 front axle shafts.

5a. Re: Strange future: a rant
   Posted by: "Kenneth Smith" caionneach@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
caionneach
   Date: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:57 pm ((PDT))

As much as I agree with this, I think we're all being a little
too
tight in our preferences here.

Remember the Eagle (a 4WD car)?  True, it was not a Jeep branded
vehicle; it was AMC. I have long thought that since Jeep is the
historic American home for 4WD technology ideally it should be
the
leader in innovative 4WD products for the consumer. As a purest,
could limit that definition to trucks only, and a truly
"puritan"
understanding of that would be that only the short wheelbase
MB/CJ
series could ever be called a Jeep. But since the original Jeep
was
a small truck, it was a short leap of logic to extend the 4WD
concept to include more civilian friendly body and frame styles.
Americans needed large trucks and wagons to play and work in.
As we
all look around, the style pioneered by the SJ (Wagoneer) has
not
gone away, if anything the popularity of the style is stronger
than
ever (Suburbans, Durangos, Armadas, Explorers et al ad nauseum).

I think one of the smartest things the new Chrysler could do is
release the Wagoneer again along the same model as Ford
reintroduced
the classic styled Mustang.  As much as I like the SJ Cherokee,
the
Wagoneer was the first SUV, and it is a shame it is not a
current
production vehicle since there are so many SUVs on the road.

But regarding the Compass, I think it is a good first step in
claiming the 4WD market as a Jeep market, including cars. Sure
other
companies can have 4WD systems in their vehicles (e.g., Subaru)
but
Jeep (thanks to the Bantam engineers) made it possible in the
beginning.

Kenneth