Re: [Amc-list] How do I install a distributor

On Saturday 18 August 2007 13:34:29 mariclairemccall@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> but my wires didn't match up
> to the the firing order listed (I marked my wires prior to removal). So,
> since I am a rookie and didn't mark where the thing went how do I install
> it so I don't blow up my brand new motor??

It's easy if you go step by step. This applies to any motor, not just AMC, and
6 and 8 work the same.

Pull the coil wire. With a piece of wire or a test lead, short from the
battery post to the START post on the starter solenoid momentarily. This will
crank the engine over, even with the key off. Tap the wire, the engine should
turn over just a tiny bit; watch the fan move.

Pull out spark plug #1. Stick your finger into the hole. Loosely! :-) Tap the
wire on the solenoid to turn the engine over; at some point it will fart your
finger out of the hole. This happens only at the top of the compression
stroke.

*** Now you have cylinder #1 at TDC, or close to it.

*** You should see the timing mark on the pulley line up with the ignition
timing comb thing on the timing cover, or close. If it's within 20 degrees,
good enough.

Now you can arrange to install the distributor correctly.

Figure out where #1 cylinder plug wire goes on the distributor cap. Put the
rotor on the distrib, and rotate it to point to the #1 contact in the cap.

A technical detail complicates installing the distributor: the distrib also
drives the oil pump, via a tang off the end of the shaft. You have to get
that to line up while you line up the ignition timing. It's not hard, but if
you dont' know what's going on it will seem mysterious.

Now stick the distributor into the hole, aligning the body of the thin where
it ought to go (you can point it any way that's convenient to you, but the
factory does a good job choosing...). Two things will "go wrong" here, don't
freak out: 1) it won't go in all the way (probably) and 2) notice the
distributor shaft rotates as it goes in the hole. This is normal; the helical
gear does that.

fix 1): Pull the distrib out but don't turn the shaft, keep the current
position. Note the tang on the bottom of the distrib shaft; that drives the
oil pump. Look into the hole in the block; the socket for that tang is down
there. Use a long screwdriver and turn the oil pump shaft until the
distributor drops all the way into the hole.

fix 2): When you ahve the distrib going in all the way, chances are the rotor
will  not point exactly to the #1 contact in the cap. If you can align it by
rotating the body of the dist a bit, you're done. Otherwise, you have to pull
the distributor up, rotate it back to compensate for the error and the
helical gear business, and re-insert. Sigh, you'll have to poke the oil pump
with that long screw driver to get the tang to line up.

Once you've done this it's quite easy, what I described in the last two steps
you can do in one (as you'll see when you do it). I literally did all this
yesterday; I re-curved my distributor and it required repositioning, so I
pulled #1 plug and started from there. Took not even 5 minutes to re-set.

Once you get it approximately right, use a 3/4" wrench and set the pulley
timing mark between TDC (0) and 10. Rotate the distributor such that the
rotor is exactly centered on the #1 spark plug wire contact. It should now be
close enough to start. If it seems "hard to start" (engine turns slowly)
retard it (turn slightly in same direction that it rotates), if it "wont
catch" try advance (turn opposite to distrib rotation). "A bit".

> I beleive I have made every
> ameture mistake I can make.

Oh I bet there's a few more... how's that saying go, better to make your first
1000 mistakes now and get them over with!