Re: [Amc-list] brake upgrades, was Re: Sunday drives

On Thursday 09 August 2007 14:51:12 Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Yeah, it's a little poopy, but enlarging the centers on a lathe is not big
> deal. Using large centers on small hubs would likely be no problem with the
> protuding centering type lugstuds.

I'll tell you in a few weeks or a month just how that works out... :-) I'm
putting 9x2.5 brakes on the front of the American (which is 9x2 stock).

Later cars have the drum affixed to the front hub by swaging the bases of each
lug nut, when you get it apart you can see what looks like knurling left
behind.

My American's drums were held to the hub only by friction in the center hole.
I had to drill a 1/8" hole right where the drum met the hub to get a bit og
Kroil in there (then it fell off!). The lug nuts weren't swaged at all, but
smooth. When this was a "forgotten" swage pass or by design I have no idea.
Convenient though as the smooth lug bases seems to center the larger drum OK.
I'll see if it gets out of round. Still testing with a junk drum, I buy new
ones soon, after I mock up the whole thing right down to the tire.

I got the backing plates all trued and I drilled the hell out of them. I'm
gonna drill my own drums, will practice on the junk drums. (See? Even junk
brake drums have their uses :-)

This American is the least-adaptable Rambler I've owned; all the newer ones
are much friendlier with random parts swaps!