Re: [Amc-list] Mobil 1 'Delvac' - CI 4 'Plus' -

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)

> i ran 15w40 in my american one winter here [eastern ma] and noticed
> slower cranking in the frosty teens-temps mornings than with my usual
> 10w30.

My first V-8 car was a rusty 68 Mustang conv, with a 289 oil burner in it.
Someone told me to put 50W raciing oil in it to slow down the oil usage! When the temps hit zero it twisted the oilpump drive shaft off! Me being all of 17-18, I promptly took the oil pump off the engine I'd pulled out and left sitting in the rain all winter! I never even took the cover off the pump. I think I might have run some kerosene or something thru it, maybe even gas! I installed it in single digit weather  and it worked!
   I swear I was so either broke or stupid that I think I even put the 50w back in it! Luckily it made it thru the rest of the winter. I'd driven home at least 5 miles with no oil pressure when the first pump broke too! I can imagine what that engine was like inside! Good thing I sold it for money for school...

Mark Price
Morgantown, WV
1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L, EFI, T-5