Re: [Amc-list] Oil to Use: It must be rated for 'Diesel'

Re: [Amc-list] Oil to Use: It must be rated for 'Diesel'

Tom,

The issue is real enough.  The newer oil formulations are fine for a roller
cam, but cause problems with a flat tappet cam.  This is affecting cams on
every make.  Usually an older motor that was broken in before the formulation
was changed is not an issue.  It's when the cam is replaced and broken in
with the new oil that you hear about problems.  The thing that I find
interesting is that the failure is not immediate.  There are several cases
reported where the cam fails at around 30,000 miles.

Here's an article from Hot Rod, and a technical bulletin from Comp Cams that
discuss the issue in much more detail.  The information about diesel oil is
getting a little dated.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/flat_tappet_cam_tech/
http://www.compcams.com/information/whatsnew/NewsDetails.asp?ListHistoryID=1821071676

My solution is to run Castrol and GM EOS.

Todd