Re: [Amc-list] t96, torque, revvy sixes, was Re: more information on my

Re: [Amc-list] t96, torque, revvy sixes, was Re: more information on my 63 770

On Monday 06 August 2007 17:34:53 Matt Haas wrote:

> I can attest to that. My 67 American has a 199 and an automatic which
> makes it a slug around town. Once it's up near highway speed, it's
> actually okay. The 232 in my 68 American (which was not rebuilt to stock
> specs) with a 3 speed manual is a totally different beast. It's really
> torquey. However, I don't think you can rev the wee out of either of
> them when not in neutral. The 68 tops out at 85 mph and if memory serves
> (which means I'm probably wrong), that's not much over 4000 RPM. Both
> cars are great highway cruisers. They are both happy around 70 MPH and
> when I took the 68 to Kenosha in 2004, I'm not sure I did much slower
> than that until I got to Chicago.

Sounds like my experience. I didn't mean to imply that revving is some new way
to make HP. Just that, in the narrow range of cars that have fairly
lightweight drivelines, the ability of our modest six to rev uysefully
another 1000 rpm (to 4000 or maybe 4500) is inexpensive "low hanging fruit".
It ain't a V8 conversion, but some fairly easy head work could really gain a
bunch of effective HP without serious driveline changes.

I think there's two things limiting RPMs on the 64-up six (up until balance
issues matter, which I assume is 5000 up). Valve train mechanical issues and
camming. The camming you buy a new lumpy stick and install it. The mech stuff
you mildly port and fiddle and leave as-is.