Re: [Amc-list] t96, torque, revvy sixes, was Re: more information on my

Re: [Amc-list] t96, torque, revvy sixes, was Re: more information on my 63 770

<snip>
> (Back to the original quoted message...) since torque would not be increased,
> only revs, you could to this in an older car in front of a T96, I bet, unless
> you revved to do hole shots. A 199 is not exactly torquey.
</snip>

I can attest to that. My 67 American has a 199 and an automatic which
makes it a slug around town. Once it's up near highway speed, it's
actually okay. The 232 in my 68 American (which was not rebuilt to stock
specs) with a 3 speed manual is a totally different beast. It's really
torquey. However, I don't think you can rev the wee out of either of
them when not in neutral. The 68 tops out at 85 mph and if memory serves
(which means I'm probably wrong), that's not much over 4000 RPM. Both
cars are great highway cruisers. They are both happy around 70 MPH and
when I took the 68 to Kenosha in 2004, I'm not sure I did much slower
than that until I got to Chicago.

Matt

--
mhaas@xxxxxxx