Re: [Amc-list] Thomas Garner, 64 Classic

On Monday 06 August 2007 16:35:42 Frank Swygert wrote:

> A relatively
> easy upgrade is to the newer 199 or 232 six. It all bolts to your
> transmission, and you just need to move the radiator forward a bit. That's
> done by changing the brackets from side to side. You'll need a 1964-1971
> 199 or 232.

... you need a 64-up crossmember too. Ask how I know :-)

I did this very swap. It was in 1988 (I still have it) so fuzzy memory... but
I distinctly recall my dismay on mounts not lining up! Note this was
pre-internet, pre-AMC-list...

Even when I got the front x-member, I had to drill new holes in the pads to
shift the biscuits fore or aft. That was not hard, I just used a 3/8" drive
hand drill.

I have a 1970 232 in front of a M12 or is it M11 aluminum, air-cooled
Borg-Warner transmission, and stock 6cyl torque tube drive. It's been
entirely trouble free (oh yeah,except when I sheared off the pinion shaft!
Believe me it wasn't from engine torque; it was a bad forging, there was a
discoloration showing an old old crack...). The little trans, which I baby on
mountain slopes, and get tuned up every year or two, lasted 18 years on the
first rebuild, and is now on it's second. Wish I could put a cooler in it!
This weekend, I'm putting a Summit mechanical water temp guage "on" it, by
silicone-ing the sender to the side of the case. Should be good enough
thermal coupling.