[Amc-list] amc six ignition timing again (yawn), my 63 Classic...

[Amc-list] amc six ignition timing again (yawn), my 63 Classic...

Welp I'm preparing for the annual trip to Burning Man up in the Nevada desert
(pretty much all I'm doing this month!) and going through small stuff in the
63 classic wagon.

What with all my work with ignition timing on the Hornet's 258 I decided it
was time to yank the Duraspark distrib on the 232. Man have I learned a lot
since I stuck that thing in there! Those Lars Grimsrud articles were a real
wakeup call (Corvette guy writes on hows and whys of setting up
distributors).

I'd stuck some random duraspark six distributor in there a decade ago (with
Duraspark II upgrade). It was apparently from some bad smog year donor, it
had only two mechanical advance settings, 6.75 and 7.25 degrees. (That's
distributor degrees, double it for crank degrees, 13.25 and 14.5.).  Plus it
was all gummed up. Ran fine, but not what it could be.

I had a rotating assembly that does 20 and 30! degrees (crank) timing. Stuck
that in, set to 30. Set 4 degrees static timing, took a quick freeway drive.
WOW! Free power! Alas, too pingy on the freeway. Tomorrow I'll dial it in
well enough to drive and tune.

Never throw anything away... I have a box of 'junk' Motorcraft distributors
that's proven to be really useful; the high-advance rotating unit, various
springs, a non-worn shaft, replacement spring clips when they boing across
the room, little plastic bearings for the reluctor plate...