Re: [Amc-list] Re; Interesting Water Injection for DIY

On Thursday 02 August 2007 14:32:26 dan whitehead wrote:\
> Tom, if I read this wrong then I appoligize.  Turbochargers don't turn
> "waste" exhaust heat energy into intake air.  The velocity of the exhaust
> exiting the engine turns the turbine side of the turbocharger.

No offense taken, and none meant! :-)

The energy in exhaust gas IS heat energy, and it manifests as high-velocity,
high-pressure gas -- only because of the heat.

Read any turbo book -- turbo efficiency is best when the turbo is closest to
the valves because that's where all the heat is. Every inch you go downstream
the exhaust radiates heat energy into the air, lost for ever. That heat comes
from gasoline combustion, if you don't use it you lose it.

If you stuck a probe into your exhaust system at various places, you'd see
velocity and pressure drop the further you got from the combustion chamber.
Simple as that. Why? The heat radiates out and heats the air under the car,
lost forever.

All combustion engines -- internal or external -- are heat engines.