Re: [Amc-list] 195.6 full flow oil filter/pump

Re: [Amc-list] 195.6 full flow oil filter/pump

Judging by the conditon of the 196s I have seen in
junkyards and cars I have parted out, I doubt their
longevity.  It may be blasphemy but engines with less
than 100,000 miles (judging from odometer readings and
pedal wear only) commonly are worn (and dirty).  You
can catch a fingernail on the cylinder wall above the
piston and the heads look dirty and worn.  Perhaps
(probably) this is a reflection more of the
maintenance the car has had, and not the design.
Since some of these cars have obviously sat idle for
years, it may also reflect the lower performance specs
on motor oil in days gone by.

For the record I have 2 cast iron OHV sixes, one
L-head, and 2 aluminum sixes here at home now.  Plans
are to resurrect one of the aluminum engines in a 63
Classic wagon "later" this year.

The L-head will be junked, and the cast iron motors
will be held pending the inspection/resurrection of
one of the aluminum engines.

Joe Fulton
Salnas, CA