Re: [Amc-list] 195.6 full flow oil

Joe, instead of jacking the engine up, you might want to try LOWERING the engine. The oil pump is angled down and almost beside the spring tower. If you go up you'll have to pull the engine halfway out of the car. You can drop the engine just a few inches on the right side and should be able to pull the oil pump. On a 58-63 it's easy -- nothing under the engine but a removable K brace. On the 64-69 you'll need to pull the crossmember bolts, but it should drop enough without removing the spring or control arms. I'm not real sure since I don't have one to look at. You will likely have to remove the engine mount as well.

On the L-head remember how the oil pump slot is arranged and make sure it goes back in the exact same way! You will need to pull the distributor to pull the oil pump also. Well, you can get the oil pump out, with the distro in place, just not back in. The oil pump has the gear on it, the distro has a slot in the end of the shaft that goes into the oil pump gear. If the oil pump is just put back in any old way you may have to move the wires on the distributor cap to get it back in the proper order. I did that on my first L-head six rebuild (just stuck the pump in, had to reorder distro wires). Now you know how I remember this so well!!

Frank Swygert
Publisher, American Motors Cars