Re: [Amc-list] auto for a 64 classic 660

Re: [Amc-list] auto for a 64 classic 660

Well, you can use the trans from any 63-66 Classic, Marlin, or Ambassador with a V-8. That might help. The 65-66 trans has a cable and a vacuum line, the 63-64 just a vacuum line for controlling shifts. Make sure you get the cable and carb linkage if you get a 65-66 model.

Only the 327 came from the factory with a 4V carb, but it could be a 287 with a 327 manifold and carb added later. There were no aftermarket manifolds, so it has to be a factory model. The only way to tell for sure is to look on the block right behind the right (passenger side) cylinder head. The bore of the block should be cast into the metal there. It's hard to see and find with the heads on, but clean it and use a mirror -- you might get lucky. The 327 has a 4.0" bore, the 287 a 3.75" bore. Don't know if it has 3.75 or 3-3/4 cast in (I suspect the later).

I'm assuming you have the torque tube? The driveshaft in those cars is in a pipe attached to the rear axle with a flange on the transmission end. That "pipe" is the torque tube and also locates the rear axle. Make sure it's tied up in the car good and can't shift forward or backward before pushing the car or you'll bend the panhard rod (track rod) and shocks, and could break the rubber break hose in the rear.

This might be a good candidate for an engine transplant since you have no trans and finding one in good condition will be a chore. It can be done, just have patience. Expect to rebuild it when you get it, and expect to travel or have it shipped a ways. The problem with transplanting anything else, even another AMC drivetrain, is that you need to build a new rear suspension. That isn't as difficult as it sounds, but does require some fabrication work.

Frank Swygert
Publisher, American Motors Cars