Re: [Amc-list] Need specs for ride height - 71 Javelin

Re: [Amc-list] Need specs for ride height - 71 Javelin

Coil springs for 70+ AMCs have been a big problem lately. It seems the
vendors are purchasing Moog springs or springs made to the Moog specs,
which are incorrect. I'd go to www.coilsprings.com, get a phone number,
and talk to some one there. Ask if they are using Moog specs or their
own, and explain the problem. I know two other people who have had the
same problem with 70-74 Javelin springs. Coil Spring Specialties will
make the springs to your specs if you want them slightly lower. From
the complaints I've heard the springs the vendors have been getting are
to stiff and to tall. Someone put in an order through China, I bet!

On July 26, 2007 Thomas, Jeff wrote:

> Does Frank S or anyone else have the technical spec's for a 71
Javelin
> AMX in terms of ride height in the front and back ?
>
> Over the past several months, I bought new tires and have taken my
> entire suspension apart for painting and new bushings, I took my car
in
> today to a great older gentleman for a quality alignment. He did the
> alignment manually using adjustable metal sticks other old school
> looking tools and then he bumped camber/caster/toe numbers against
the
> 71 Tech Service manual which I brought with me. Everything was within
> 1/16 of an inch or a few degrees. We couldn't find any mention of
ride
> height in the TSM. He believes the coil spring I ordered from an AMC
> vendor awhile back might be wrong and look like they are from a
station
> wagon. The front end seems to be sitting too high. New coil spring
have
> been on the car with the engine installed for about 2 years but the
car
> has not been driven much. I mention that in case anyone thought
there
> could be a settling issue. He thought the height of the rear leaf
> springs looked correct. This is a guy that's been doing front end
work
> for 45 years. He didn't have any literature on old AMCs anymore.
Anyway,