Re: [Amc-list] I shoulda had a V8! (in a '64 American)

Re: [Amc-list] I shoulda had a V8! (in a '64 American)

I've seen V8's (AMC and otherwise) in 64 and 65 Americans and they fit
really well since the V8's are also several inches shorter than the 199
and 232 sixes. You'll need a crossmember from a later American, Hornet,
or Gremlin to make it work. You can either buy a V8 crossmember or a 6
cylinder one and use the Bulltear adapters (or make your own).

Matt

Thomas L. DeBusk wrote:
> I've just acquired a 1964 Rambler American convertible. It's sat in a
> field for several years, top gone.
>
> I'm evaluating it and considering what to do with it. I also have a
> Jeep 360 that was destined for a J10 already built and sitting on an
> engine stand. It's tempting.
>
> I'm wondering how difficult it would be to install the V8 in the
> American instead. Apparently the '64 & '65's are shorter than the '66-
> ups. Does that matter?
>
> And are there easy shortcuts? Like replacing the engine cradle with a
> later V8 one? Or is fabrication better? Any wisdom would be welcome.
>
> Thomas
> 1964 Rambler American convertible
> currently 196 OHV, AT

mhaas@xxxxxxx