Re: [Amc-list] disk brake hack

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 16:22 +0000, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I got to ask, Were would you look to find smaller wheel cylinders???

>From the grand unified brake list! I already did this on my Hornet; I
got perfect balance by changing to a smaller rear bore. All along I
suspected that there really are very few drum brake parts. Here's what
I've found:

* AMC used 10x2.5, 10x1.75, 9x2.5, 9x2
* The hub front or rear does not seem to change EXCEPT for center hole
diameter some years
* four drums would fit all cars EXCEPT there are variations in center
hole diameter some years

* For a given SHOE WIDTH, all the wheel cylinders interchange, pending
port location (center, front or rear; front brakes have to put the port
to one side of the steering knuckle, is all). YOu can use front wheel
cyls in the rear if you don't mind bending brake lines.

(The only difference between a 1" bore wheel cylinder for 2.5" wide vs.
2" wide shoes is the height of the bore centerline from the mounting
surface, so that it contacts the foot on the shoe).

To tweak the rear wheel cylinder bore diameter, for say a 9x2.5" brake
first figure out what you have now, then rummage through the table for
other 9x2.5 rear brakes and see what other cyls are used. You can do
this without the chart; the data's in the TSMs, but I compiled it all in
one place.

Once i fill in the blanks in the table I will do the complete
cross-reference. That's really the POINT of the project. The big listing
is nice, but it's not new data. Tabulating every possible AMC wheel
cylinder will be new information. For example, I can list wheel
cylinders by bore x shoe width x port exit location x part number and
just go shopping.

There's certainly bore diameters that AMC didn't use that would be
useful. But knowing how few wheel cyl parameters there are means you can
pick non-AMC parts that will bolt in, exact fit; find other-make with
9x2.5 bendix brakes, check port location, bolt it in.