Re: [Amc-list] disk brake hack

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 12:46 -0400, Frank Swygert wrote:
> If you can get them try just bigger wheel cylinders. Sounds like
> you're putting more fluid to the back than needed. A larger wheel
> cylinder will need the greater volume of fluid and won't lock the
> brakes.

Umm, that's exactly backwards. For a given pedal pressure, say 800psi,
the larger the (wheel cylinder) piston, the more force it provides. The
mnemonic is built into the the units:

	pounds (of force) PER SQUARE INCH

More inches, more force.

Yes, a larger piston will require more volume for a given stroke, but
that's immaterial here, we're talking 1 or two cc's difference at best.

Dave's foot provides the pressure; he'll press until the car is stopping
fast enough mainly on the front brakes, whatever that is, call it 800
psi.

That amount of force is on the rear wheel cylinders too. The volume of
fluid is self-adjusting; you can ignore it all things otherwise being
equal. At 800 psi, or whatever it is (Dave's foot is the pressure
regulator), you need to pick a wheel cyl diameter that produces total
braking force to match the front. If the rears lock too soon, you want
less force; you want a smaller wheel cylinder.