[Amc-list] Aisin 4 speed Trans. - High Performance -

[Amc-list] Aisin 4 speed Trans. - High Performance -

-0400 From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [Amc-list]
Trannies - con't

I'm almost agreeing with Brien on this one -- Novak has a vested
interest in selling adapters. I said almost... Most of Novak's customers
are hard core four wheelers. They beat on their rigs hard and build high
power. The AW4 high efficiency torque converter has a low stall and
isn't well suited for high rpm horsepower engines. I don't think anyone
makes a high stall converter for it. Most of Novak's customers would
want to run big V-8s (built 360s) with high stall converters so they can
rev the engines to build power and still not be moving fast. The AW4
won't do that. So from a big power four wheeler perspective, the
transmission just isn't strong enough. As I said before, I wouldn't put
it behind a drag racing built 360, but I'd definitely put it behind a
mildly built cruiser that might see an occasional pass down the strip.
-- Frank Swygert Publisher, "American Motors Cars" Magazine (AMC) For
all AMC enthusiasts http://farna.home.att.net/AMC.html (free download
available!)

===.===

Ok - perhaps, but Novak left zero margins in his blanket whitewash on
the Aisin trans.
- granted he caters to 'Wall Climbers' - but not totally.

Want an AW4 to go behind a 'Werk'd  AMC 360 / 401 ?

Want an AW4 Aisin convertor capable of handling these motors ?

Want a 2wd Aisin 4spd. Auto - for 'Hot' Street ?

Again, the Aisin trannies are being used behind some Brutal
Twin Turbo Supras - seeing 600 to 700 rwhp - .

Yes, these are built ups - after 400 rwhp - , but so are
the TH-400 / A-727 / Ford whatevers - those aren't just
valve bodies and good to go.

727s kick sprags out - require the HD planateries - oil
cooling internal mods - my 'Build' files aren't on this rig,
but the read is entailed and costly.

999s with the 5 clutchs don't get oiling to the 5th clutch
since there isn't a lube hole near it - the good MoPar builders
know these things - or eventally they burn.

HEMI torquefiltes torched 5th plates which is why the 5th plate
setups came in a box - put it in yourself - if not - you got the
440 Torqueflite spec.

So do I think Novak is 'up front' ? No.

Glad he's doing for the hobby ? Sure.

Pays to read up before you Plastic ? Yeah.

Can you run an Aisin behind a powerful AMC ?

Yes.

I'd speculate, and agree with Frank that
3-350 HP is Max - either have 'spares'
or get one 'massaged for power levels
up to running 'High 9s' - > go here:

http://www.*import**performance*trans.com/