[Amc-list] 9 in Ford Rear Axle information for potential AMC swaps

[Amc-list] 9 in Ford Rear Axle information for potential AMC swaps

on this subject, why  has  nobody mentioned the BIG
pinion bearing 9" under ford 1/2 ton trucks from 67,
maybe earlier, thru the late 70's, early 80's. i have
one in my 71 ford f100 4x4. it has 3.55 gear (if i
remember right), 5x5 bolt pattern. they say with the
bigger pinion bearing, the pressure is spread out
more. makes for less pinion breakage. you can get
different axle shafts for the bolt pattern of choice.
shorten it up a little. that would work great for high
power output tho.

it has been almost 6 years since i messed with mine.
since i been in the army, aint been able to get back
home to it. it is parked at my grandparents. i built
the motor in it and dyo'ed it at 440 tq and 426 hp.
old fe block. it is a 4x4 with 33" tires and 3.50 or
3.55 gears. dont remember now. lot of pressure on
them. snapped the pinion in half once. that was the
stock one. then learned about setting the
backlash/bearing preload when i burnt up the pinion
bearing. lol. pinions dont like being sidestepped at
about 3500 rpm with tall gear, tall tire. lol.

aaahhh, to remember the days when you were a teen and
didnt worry about breakage cause it was fun to rebuild....

dave stohler
http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules