Re: [Amc-list] Full Flow filter Cast Iron 196?

The full-flow oil filter was introduced sometime in late 1964. I've only heard of a few 64 models with them, but there have been a couple verified to come from the factory with the full flow filter. It can be used on any 195.6, and most likely the older 184 and 172.6, but there's one catch: there isn't enough clearance on the right side between the engine and frame rail in a 58-63 American or 50-55 Nash Rambler. Of course it fits in the 64+ American. It should fit any year big car, but check (I haven't done it). It's just a new cover for the same oil filter, the pump doesn't even have to come out. You can't even use a remote filter adapter to put it in one of the small cars.

Tom, you aren't thinking!! A flat head externally looks the same as an OHV??? From under the car they look the same, but that's it! The blocks are 100% identical from the oil pan rail down, and on the front and back. Everything else appears different. They share the same bearings, cranks, rods, and timing sets (I've mixed and matched them -- my last OHV rebuild got a crank from a flat head). The cams will physically interchange (same bearings), but the lobe profiles are very different due to valve design. The distributors are even on opposite sides of the engine! Other than that what Tom said about the design is correct... ;>

Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 13:54:05 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

On Sat, 2007-07-14 at 20:04 -0700, JOE FULTON wrote:

> > I'm parting out a 65 American with an L-head 196.  It
> > has a full flow oil filter.  Is there any reason I
> > can't use this full flow filter assembly on a cast
> > iron OHV 196?

Really? I didn't know any of the iron 195.6's had full-flow oil! I think
Frank mentioned oil pump clearance problems with the later motors in
early Americans.

> > Also, I know this has been answered before but I
> > wasn't interested at that time.  Can I use the L-head
> > 196 short block and add a oHV cylinder head to convert
> > to an OHV engine?

Nope. Where the in-block valves go the OHV block has big passageways for
pushrod clearance and oil drainage. The OHV block is based upon the
flathead but is different. Externally it looks the same though!

The crank and other bottom-end parts are supposed to be identical though.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"