Re: [Amc-list] Full Flow filter Cast Iron 196?

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 22:41 -0400, Frank Swygert wrote:

> The full-flow oil filter was introduced sometime in late 1964. I've
> only heard of a few 64 models with them, but there have been a couple
> verified to come from the factory with the full flow filter. It can be
> used on any 195.6, and most likely the older 184 and 172.6, but
> there's one catch: there isn't enough clearance on the right side
> between the engine and frame rail in a 58-63 American or 50-55 Nash
> Rambler. Of course it fits in the 64+ American. It should fit any year
> big car, but check (I haven't done it). It's just a new cover for the
> same oil filter, the pump doesn't even have to come out. You can't
> even use a remote filter adapter to put it in one of the small cars.

Hmm... from a photo Joe sent me, it looks like a remote filter adapter
would solve it, but you know how that goes... nothing beats actually
trying it. It's pretty close down there.  It appears that the new pump
puts the filter at an angle that klunks into the inner fender.

> Tom, you aren't thinking!! A flat head externally looks the same as an
> OHV??? From under the car they look the same, but that's it!

I meant only generally. Obviously there's the exhaust pipe bolted to the
passenger side, etc. You can easily see how the OHV mold was made from
the L-head mold.