Re: [Amc-list] Overdrive by replacing a 904 with a A500?

Re: [Amc-list] Overdrive by replacing a 904 with a A500?

A: Welcome to my world! You would be better off with a 700R4 (early
non-electronic 4L60, not 4L60E) and AMC to Chev adapter than mess with the
POS 42RE (I had one I was going to fix up for my '73 J4000 before I rolled
it. Upon inspection of the weak webbing design of the rear of the case (as
told to me by members of this list and other Jeep lists) I decided not to
use it and resold it as a core. (the 6500 lb payloads I hauled would have
destroyed it in short order, as would rat racing) It also needed a computer
system to operate the valve body (hydraulic one I had from a '00 999 was
different. An older (pre '93) A500 valve body might have fit.

   Other options are the Jeep Cherokee ('87 to '95 2wd for simplicity) AW4.
The way the converter is designed is much better than Mopar ones for
efficiency and there are 2 different O/D gears (.70 till '90 then .75 after
that) You can rig it for manual shift or run the separate controller with
some sensors and the TVS cable modded to fit on the carb to give you the
same readings the EFI setup would. Renix TPS works easiest with the carb,
but I'm going with Jeep HO EFI ('91 to '95 is easiest to figure out but
Renix is more mod capable) and a 2wd AW4 from a '90 XJ.

   Even the 999 isn't too bad. Get a billet necked lockup converter with a
medium stall speed and the lockup high speed lockup kit (makes it engage
closer to 55 mph than 45 like stock) That will bolt directly in place of the
904 and feel like it has an overdrive when the lockup engages.