Re: [Amc-list] Overdrive by replacing a 904 with a A500?

Re: [Amc-list] Overdrive by replacing a 904 with a A500?

The only thing I can add to Andrew's post is that a manual controller is
easy to make for the AW4. The benefit is that you can put it in whatever
gear you want when you want.  Some will see that as a drawback, as it
WILL NOT automatically shift. You put it in drive like normal, then turn
the switch on the manual controller to the gear you want. I've been
using one for a while and like it. It's like having a four speed with no
clutch. My wife occasionally drives my car with no problems. You need a
convenient place for the switch though. I have mine on the console. I
placed it so that my hand naturally drops over the switch when my arm is
on the arm rest. A bench seat car, or one with no console and arm rest,
would be a bit of a problem. The switch could be mounted similar to mine
on an console/arm rest that sits on the seat if you have a bench seat
though. I had a bench seat with the switch in a plastic box that had a
piece of velcro on the bottom. It would stick reasonably well to my
tweed seat covers, but it was a little awkward to use like that.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"