[Amc-list] Attention! Virginia is targeting Antique vehicles AGAIN! Here

[Amc-list] Attention! Virginia is targeting Antique vehicles AGAIN! Here we go ...

 Well, after a wonderful, exhausting day at Cecil
County,  my wife and I get home and come in, wife
checks the mail, hands me a notice from DMV. She said
" what have you done now?". Heh, right. Anyway, I open
it, read it, and although the sun has turned my face
red, it is getting redder by the moment each time I
read this notice.
  So, here's what's happened. And I quote -

 " Effective July 1, 2007, Virginia Law ( Code of
Virginia, Section 46.2-730 ) requires that owners of
registered antique motor vehicles and trailers provide
evidence that they own or have regular use of another
properly registered passenger vehicle or motorcycle."
Ok, so far....NOW for the big hit...

 " IN ADDITION ( my emphasis ), owners must submit an
ORIGINAL NOTARIZED CERTIFICATION ( my emphasis again )
that the registered antique motor vehicle or trailer
meets the safety equipment requirements for the model
year in which it was manufactured and (more emphasis)
IS CAPABLE OF BEING SAFELY OPERATED ON THE HIGHWAYS OF
VIRGINIA." End quotes.

 So, now WHAT the 'ell is an "original notarized
certification" ?  So are they saying that the vehicle
must be OPERABLE to be registered? When has THAT been
a requirement for vehicles undergoing restoration?
Seems like to me they're trying to revoke antique
tags, then bush-whack you over having unregistered
cars.

 According to further instructions, "you" ( the
multi-car AMC owner ) must comply and send in the info
by January 1, 2008, or your registration will be
revoked. I have no problem with having a regular
vehicle, I have two, the Jeep and the van, however, I
have two separate insurance policies, and on one,
they're all antique, no regular. On my form, they
didn't target all my antique vehicles ( 6 ), just a
1957 Chevy, with partial VIN and title # and plate #
listed. So I'm not sure if they're going to target
cars one by one, or whether I have to do this for ALL
my cars, or what the deal is yet. I'm puzzled over
what an original notarized certification will mean.
>From the factory??? Guess I'll have to call DMV and
put up with the bull*hit phone system.

 Bottom line is, it seems that they're going to start
pulling more garbage to hassle antique car owners. I
understand that I have 6 (registered), and only a few
regular registrations. But there's no way I can make
them all run and have good tires, batteries, etc. I
just don't have the funds right now. Much less the
time to get them ready to pass any sort of
"driveability" test, if that's required, not sure
about that Notarized Certification. So, do we need to
call out SEMA on this one? Man, I'm steamed. Can I
ignore it for all the other vehicles, if they only
list one? I'm not sure. Are they required to notify
you for EACH one? This sounds like it'll be a major
hassle ( again ). Maybe this is directed at Street
Rods, which are hand-built from parts, with no factory
documentation, or custom-built motorcycles. I have NO
idea. Where did THIS come from all of a sudden?
Anyone else know? Time to form the political posse
again!

Jerry Casper