Re: [Amc-list] Overdrive by replacing a 904 with a A500?

Re: [Amc-list] Overdrive by replacing a 904 with a A500?

" From: Doug Dornbos <dornbos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
"
" Can I get overdrive on my 258 by buying an A500/40RH/42RH Dodge
" transmission and installing it by using the bellhousing from my 904?
" Does that all sound plausible?

yes and no.

your 904 doesn't have a separate bellhousing; it's integral with the
case.  however, there is a 42re used in 4.0 grand cherokees...  but
the aw4 used in cherokees is widely considered to be better, and until
'96 at least it had a standalone tcm whereas the 42re has always been
controlled from the ecm and i don't know if mopar performance or
anyone else has a standalone tcm for it.

also a possibility is a gm th700r4, via an advance adapters adapter
ring.  this is widely regarded as one of the best 4sp autos in detroit
- better than the mopars - and [detail] it has separate 1st and 2nd
gears on its shift pattern unlike the aw4.  okay, i'm an unregenerate
stick head, but there are many times i've wanted to hold my gf's
cherokee in 2nd, and the aw4's window for this is very small before it
kicks you down to 1st and stays there.