Re: [Amc-list] fsj 232/th400 [was: AMC Ads]

A: The transmissions were originally leftovers from when GM over produced
the cases, then changed the Buick engine design (added some power and
compression) and it required a larger flywheel which wouldn't fit in the
case.

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] fsj 232/th400 [was:  AMC Ads]
To: msproviero@xxxxxxxxxxx,  amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

The bell wasn't shallow to accommodate the adapter ring. It was
shallow
because of the Buick Nailhead engine design. That version of the
transmission was sold as a "universal" trans because the design
happened
to lend itself well to adapting. Kept GM from making another
trans. The
Nailhead trans case was continued in production for a few years
after
Nailhead production stopped, I believe, to supply those using
adapters.
I suppose production rose to the point for most using the
adapted trans
that it was worth buying specific cases for their engines.