From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] fsj 232/th400 [was:  AMC Ads]
To: msproviero@xxxxxxxxxxx,  amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Spro, you didn't miss anything much, just don't understand how
the early
Jeeps w/AMC engine fitted a TH-400. The AMC TH-400 case didn't
come
along until around 1972 or 73. It was used through 1969. Prior
to that
the "universal" model TH-400 (same as the Buick "Nailhead"
case/bell --
it was also sold as the universal to other makers because the
shallow
bell left plenty of room for an adapter -- the old Buick
Nailhead had a
deep flange on the back of the block) was used with a cast iron
adapter
ring 1.5"-2" thick. The ring was used mostly with the AMC 327
(65-67 in
FSJs), but some Jeep sites report that a similar setup was used
with
71-72 AMC V-8s. The 327 has a different bolt pattern than later
AMC
V-8s, of course.

--
Frank Swygert