Re: [Amc-list] silly ford axle question?

A: The 8" that I had in my '66 Fairlane (289 3 speed) was 3.55 posi. I
switched it out for a 3.00 when I put the C4 auto in (then I put a 9" inch
in for the 428 side oiler right before the Tbolt copy car was stolen and I
sold the other 2 dr HT)

From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] silly ford axle question?
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans."
<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

The 8" Maverick rear axle is the narrowest 8" axle out there
AFAIK!
It is a dead near perfect bolt in for the American, narrow for
anything else.
It is about 56" -56 3/4" wide total. I don't have the exact
number handy right now.
I would dearly love to use one in mine, but the costs of putting
one together seems to be within $200 of doing a 9" so I'm
guessing I will not be using the 8".
  I want to get the gearset in 3:55 range and that was not an
option in the Mavericks, nor are very many of them posi, so by
the time I would add up all the "upgrades" well, It all adds up!
  25 years ago I built one. The 3:55 geared pumpkin was to be
found in the Mustang II V6 axles. $50 for a used pig and I was
all set, no posi but it still worked well. The car was actually
faster with the 3:55 8" open then with 4:11 9" posi. It's all in
the combination I guess.

No, IT IS NOT A SILLY QUESTION!
any search for an improvement over the two piece axles is NOT
silly!
It's SMART!
Anyone who has ever had to get his cars hooked in with a spun
hub will agree!!!

--
Mark Price