[Amc-list] Detailing issues

> Snip
> I'm starting to restore the underside of my '68 AMX
> and wondering what
> colors various items (rear end, suspension, etc)
> were from the factory.
> Does anyone like Eastwood have the correct colors?
> Snip

Okay, here is what I have amassed over the last while.
I apologize for the length and I can't remember where I got it from, but it might be the AMC club in Europe.
I do not make any claim to accuracy so use at your discretion.
I tried to send all the info in 1 message but I think it was rejected.
Don

 1 Power Steering Gearbox Black  - no natural cast iron.  Natural alum top plate and end cap.  black phosphate bolts
 2 Strut Rods and Mounts:  chassis black
 3 All Four Shocks: almost gloss black with paint inspection marks.  Originals were by gabriel, said American Motors and were date coded and had PNs
 4 All Front End Mounting Hardware: clear (silver) zinc  for the most part.  Some special locknuts are clear cad.  Tie rod screws and nuts for adj are phosphate
 5 Transmission Cross members:  chassis black or bare metal
 6 4 Speed Bell housing:  natural alum, assembled on the engine when painted, ~2" near engine is painted- cover the bolts.
 7 4 Speed Tranny: natural cast iron, has a few paint insp marks
 8 Drive Shaft Natural -- Metal  : some were painted black.  Both have stripe(s) to denote 4spd or auto
 9 All Clutch Linkages, Crossbar (Z-Bar) and mounts Natural -- Metal: not sure, bar was phosphate on my car, zbar may be natural or zinc;The main pushrod to the pedal is black paint.  Rest of the parts were a mix of natural metal, clear zinc, and phosphate.
 10 Power Brake Booster and Master Cylinder: almost gloss black.  Entire unit painted incl MC lid.  MC lid has AMC PN for fluid
 11 Rear Axle Housing:  Black or bare metal
 12 Drum Brake Backing Plates: chassis black
 13 Torque Links and Fame and Axle Mounts: chassis black
 14 Upper and Lower Read Shock Mounting Plates: uppers were bare, lower were black if rear end was black, bare if bare.
 15 Rear Brake Drums:  black
 16 Exhaust Hangers: originals were zinc plated metal with black phosphate rivets.  Later replacements were bare metal and used a semi-tubular rivet.  Later again two of the plates were dropped and they used a rivet with a bigger head.
 17 The engine brackets to the rubber mounts were black on 68s and then later unpainted.  Dunno if they stopped painting in early 69 at the same time with the xmber but sometime in '69 they were definitely bare metal
 18 Bumper to Frame Mounts: chassis black
 19 Front Fender to Frame Brace : univ black if you mean the ones in the engine bay
 20 Ignition Coil Bracket and Mount : clear zinc
 21 Throttle Cable Bracket on Intake Manifold : dunno
 22 Alt. Mounting Brackets:  Painted engine color, "Z" one is univ. black
 23
 24 Gas Tank and Mounting Straps : galvanized and covered with undercoating
 25 Trunk Bumper to Frame Mounts: univ black
 26 Trunk Latch Mechanism: body color
 27 Trunk Latch Loop: body color
 28 Engine Cross Member: bare or chassis black
 29 Lower Control Arms  : chassis black
 30 Spindles: chassis black
 31 Disk Brake Callipers: "    "
 32 Rotors: bare
 33 Backing Plates for Disc: black, IMO matches the master cyl  - fairly glossy
 34 Trunnions:  partial or all nickel plated
 35 Upper Control Arms : chassis black
 36 Coil Springs : black w. applicable stripe
 37 Inner and Outer Tie Rods and Adj Sleeves.  natural
 38 Center Link  Natural, dark metal from forging
 39 Pitman Arm  natural with paint insp mark
 40 Front Sway Mounts and links   Bolts are clear zinc.  Bushing mounts are either bare or galvanized.

 Most suspension items were painted in 68, but it seems that in 69 they stopped painting some of the xmbrs, etc, and this carried over into 70 where much
Power steering
This is an Eaton unit used in various make and model cars-some like the
Fords actually have a fluid bowl separate from the pump body.  AMC has
them together.

The colors:  the cast iron body of the pump is a natural cast finish.
The bowl, cover, and brackets are semi gloss black.  There are 3
different pulleys.  For automatic shift cars the pulley is a stamped
steel piece that is painted semi gloss black.  The bolt that holds it in
place is natural.  It is a single groove pulley.  For standard shift
cars there are two different pulleys.  One, the most common, is a
stamped steel pulley that it is the same as the auto equipped pulley but
there is a second stamped pulley that is a little smaller attached to
the front.  This is used to drive the smog pump, and a date coded, AM
script fan belt goes from this pulley to the smog pump pulley (as is the
power steering pump belt-and the AM script IS NOT in white paint-those
are the replacement belts.  The originals had the script embossed into
the belt).  It is also semi gloss black.  The second pulley is a one
piece cast iron unit found on some 1968 cars.  The unit has two grooves
of different diameters.  It is possibly semi gloss black, but the few I
have seen did not have any paint on them.  The standard shift pump also
has a bracket attached to the pump to allow adjustment in the smog pump
belt.  This is also semi gloss black.  The shaft for the auto pump is
shorter than the shaft for the standard shift pump.  The pump attaches
to a cast aluminum plate that is natural with a smaller aluminum spacer
plate between them.  The nuts and washers are natural. DO NOT
overtighten the pump or you will crack the top of the aluminum bracket.
The pump also has a bracket that attaches to a long stud coming from the
water pump/timing cover.  This uses a fine thread, natural colored nut,
a lock washer, AND large flat washers on either side of the
bracket-often missing.

The lid of the pump is held in place by a wing nut.  It and the washer
under it are natural. (here is a tip-you do not have to remove the top
to check the fluid level, which should be about 0.5-1 inch below the
top.  Just loosen the top wing nut some. Lift the cap and turn it as the
hole for attaching is off center.  You will be able to easily look into
the bowl at the fluid level).  There is some stamped text on top of the
lid so the paint should not be so thick as to cover it up. There is a
gasket under the lid.

There is a large hex head on the side of the pump.  This should be
natural.  It has a two digit date code and the pressure stamped on the
side.  The 68 and 69 pumps have a lower pressure than the 70 pump.  DO
NOT interchange the pumps unless you interchange the box as well.  I
have seen some pumps with an off white paint mark in this area, but
don't know what it is for.

There are two hoses going to the pump (or from it).  The low pressure
return line goes to a nipple attached to the fluid bowl.  It is held in
place by a natural colored spring-type clamp with a nut and screw.  The
hose is black and I do not believe there are any printed markings on it
(but not sure off hand-I'm not at home so I can't check).  The second
line is a high pressure line and has a fitting attached to either end.
The fittings are cadmium plated and are angled to fit on the pump or
box-you will not be able to put the wrong end in the wrong place.  The
original hose has a "fitting" in the middle of the hose the same cadmium
color.  This is to stop the hose from "ballooning" or expanding under
pressure-which is over 1000 pounds.  The aftermarket hoses I have seen
have not had this middle piece.

I'm thinking there is a red paint mark on the return line but not
sure-seems there is a small red paint mark somewhere here.  Will look
later tonight.

You can use automatic transmission fluid in the pump without problems.
They are very prone to leak and a rebuild kit is mostly O-rings and
gaskets and seem easy to find, and are easy to rebuild.