Re: [Amc-list] 'Flexible Flyers' - Radial Tires.

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 01:38 +0000, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have run 1/2 degree neg camber on quite a few vehicles, everything from an 86 Niss 4X4 to my current American with no real noticeable ill effects on tire wear.
>    The only wear was to the inside of the drivers side front tire due to road crown. That is kept to a minimum by rotation. Yes, I rotate side to side. I've done so for 20 years and NEVER had a tire lose a belt or otherwise fail from it. You will be told by many people you can't do that. Check you manuals, all of the ones I have now recomend cross rotation.
>   I've destroyed more tires from the factory positive camber specs! Drive the vehicle hard with positve camber and you'll eat the tires alive.

There are some tires with directional wear patterns, but few (I had a
set of Yokos like that) but I too rotate tires -- five on my Hornet, old
style -- and they last a long time.

>   I ended up buying my own camber caster gauge because I was tired of the morons at the tire shops saying, "Sorry the outside tread is wearing off your tires. It is with in factory specs, That'll be $39.95"!
>    The lowbuck gauge cost me $35. Now I do it my way!

You mentioned that before and I meant to ask -- so that's working out
OK? Does it require flat and level surface, or can it compensate for
non-level? I've got a nice concrete pad but it's sloped slightly.

What do you do for toe?