Re: [Amc-list] Re; 'Flexible Flyers' - Radial Tires. and shot springs

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 14:25 -0700, John Elle wrote:

> Yah, I can, but there may be a folk or two that don’t like my answer.
> I have yet to see a good reason why I have to purchase a front spring
> for an AMC car.

If they're sagged, they're sagged. If not, why change 'em?

My 63 had saggy springs, and so did my '70 Hornet. The 72 Hornet
doesn't, and that makes no sense, as there's really no reason for one to
sag and not the other. The 63 AMerican looked pretty good stance (though
I didn't explicitly check the lower pivot plane thing). The American
leafs seem to be in GREAT shape, so go figure.

I honestly cannot figure out why one set would sag and another would
not. If it was variations in heat treat or something (hard to imagine)
then you'd see one side sagged more than the other. I don't see that.

I often see old cars on the road squatting from tired springs, of all
makes. Springs do get tired.

> The only thing that I have addressed and then only as a personal
> preference and that is that annoying nose high attitude that prevails
> on all AMC cars that I have ever been involved with or seen

Isn't that just a 50's/60's thing? I kinda like it :-) I have 1" tall
springs all around in my 63 wagon!

> Raising a car makes no logical sense to me at all.

I can drive my wagon over curbs, no problem. And crawl under the car
without a jack. OK I'm skinny, but the springs help :-)

(No accounting for taste :-)