[Amc-list] Re; newer Strut Rod Bushings and more

[Amc-list] Re; newer Strut Rod Bushings and more

Jim
Snip
OK..Guys....
Just  finished replacing the upper control arm bushings and the lower
spring seats on my 73 Matador...what a job
Snip
The best way I can  describe this job, is that it is a dog job!

SNIP
.....Note.... also if you are using one of Gary Jacobs spring
compressors make sure you grease it up really good as the all thread rod

he used is a little soft and the threads will peal off some if you
don't.....ask me
how I know....
Snip

I make my own spring compressor as needed, I just made my second
one, after about 2 dozen front ends I decided that for safety sake I
would
make a second one. I use a coupler, which looks like a nut that is about
2
inches long. You want as much length on it as possible to help spread
the load with out stripping the threads and do not have a problem such
as you are describing. I have not seen the unit you are using so can not
pass judgment on it. However we both must use an "All Thread" threaded
rod for the main component.

SNIP
Anyway my real question....The replacement Strut rod bushing have a one
piece metal insert ....factory metal inserts are two piece and have an
outer lip and do not seem to come together when installed.....Which is
better?????...IF I use the one piece insert should I tighten it until
the insert
is tight against  the nuts????

Thanks,
Jim
SNIP
The TSM(S) seem  to indicate that OEM can either be 1 piece or 2 piece
strut rod bushings as can the replacement parts. I generally use 2 piece
as
I like them better, however the last two suspension kits I purchased
have
1 piece in them and will use the parts as shipped. The TSM specification

for the nuts is in the Caster Adjustment in some manuals and in the
repair
procedure for the struts in others and state that you want to tighten
the
adjustment nuts to 60 foot lbs and the jam nut to 55 or 60 foot lb
depending
on the manual.
You are of course using the large cupped washers are you not?
John.