[Amc-list] American trunnion

Well I'm pretty much screwed. Another half dozen heat/soak cycles and it
doesn't budge. Plus I drilled a hole in the casting in the middle to get
Aerokroil in there. Did no good, and I sheared off my welded nut.

And that's on the one with enough stub that I can get a nut on it. The
other one's sheared off -- both sides -- flush with the arms.

As a last resort I tried drilling them on my 1" capacity mill. The
trunnion bolts are not much less hard than the drill bit; I didn't even
get .25" in before I cooked the bit cherry red. I may look for some
special super-hard bit but that seems desperate as a hole down the
middle of a hard, frozen bolt may not help in this case; it's so long
and no way to grip it.

Both trunnions have both arms stuck on there, which makes dealing with
them difficult.

With a good dozen hours in them I think it's safe to say they are
unusable. With replacement costs over $700 for rebuilt used parts I have
to find another solution. (I need arms too, so it'll be even more.)

Any ideas anyone? This kinda puts the car off the road.

Does a 64-69 upper trunnion system fit, or nearly so? It appears (from
the parts catalog drawings) to have the right camber and it's probably
the same upper bearing. But I think the arms fit into the chassis like
all other 64-up cars, instead of onto that bolt-on pivot bar.