Re: [Amc-list] success, success, failure, and success

Tom Jennings wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 09:01 -0400, Matt Haas wrote:
>
>> Brazing will be plenty strong enough for this repair if you want more
>> strength than JB Weld and screws. BTW, if you go with screws, you
>> probably want to use button head screws so you don't have sharp corners
>> digging into the floor pan.
>
> Good point on the screw heads; I'll watch for that. I may buzz the top
> with a disc to smooth the screw heads as I already have a box of 100 SM
> screws.
>
> I don't have a brazing setup, just little MIG, and I'm an (as yet
> unpracticed) lousy welder, though I may do some practice runs and MIG
> might work out, esp. since I'm doing an epoxy liner, pinholes won't
> matter.

Tom,

I wouldn't use MIG (or TIG for that matter) since the tank's covered
with zinc. Zinc fumes are very bad for you. Brazing isn't too terribly
expensive to get started with. You can get a portable gas welding kit
for around $75 (they use small tanks like a propane torch so they don't
last long). $10 will get you a bunch of brazing rod. Also, you can buy a
torch and regulator set for about $150 and rent the gas tanks from a
welding supply store.

Besides being able to braze, the massive amount of heat a gas torch set
can put out will help free stuck bolts (or cut through rusty exhaust
parts) in a hurry. There's a reason they're sometimes called a blue
tipped wrench.

Matt

--
mhaas@xxxxxxx