Re: [Amc-list] Air shocks on Jav/AMX---a fix I found years ago

Re: [Amc-list] Air shocks on Jav/AMX---a fix I found years ago

snip

Here's my take on the staggered rear shock mounting on the 70 Javelin/AMX cars. In 69 the shocks are not staggered (both are behind the axle). In 70 AMC staggered the shocks (one in front of axle one behind) to enhance the cornering ability of thecar. Reason? Trans Am homologation regulations for racing??? Yeah I know that's not why, but it's a good story, ain't it? This here Duane guy has a great bunch of questions, I've often pondered why the shocks are staggered on the back of a 70 Jav or AMX. Anyone know why??
Armand

Snip

Shocks are staggered on the 69's. The 68's are not staggered. I think it's more to control axel windup than for cornering, but I could be wrong.

Ross Blair
69 BBO Javelin 390
Ottawa, Ont.
bigbad69(at)email.com