[Amc-list] How to tell difference between 727 and 904

[Amc-list] How to tell difference between 727 and 904

Hello AMC brothers and sisters,
I found a bizarre car this weekend in the country. Based on the door
code and the VIN on the dash it's a real 71 Javelin AMX with a 290 motor
with 74 bridge style rockers, an early style Edelbrock Torker intake,
automatic transmission and headers. Anybody need a cheap 290 in Florida
? Somebody had quite a time making this monstrosity come together since
they had to elongate the holes for the intake.

Question is: I'd be interested in getting the tranny if I could be sure
it was a Chrysler 727. I was able to get under it just a little and it's
not a BW M11 or M12 based on the pan and shape of the tranny. Kickdown
linkage and filler tube all say to me, Chrysler tranny. Are there any
codes or ways to tell whether it's the 727 I want or the smaller 904
version ? Please let me know. Seems like there is a stamping on the
outside somewhere but I'm going from memory.

J T