[Amc-list] It's Done

Well except for some rehab of the wheels and tires, my
77 Gremlin project car is now ready to function as a
frequent daily driver.

A recap:  I bought this car from the young man in the
central valley two year ago (for #200).  The engine
was full of water and I scrapped it.  I installed the
engine from a 60,000 mile Hornet which had been owned
by a lady near my home.  That car had acquired too
much body rust (from salt air) to save.  I cleaned up
and painted the engine and installed a factory rebuilt
BBD carb. I had the 904 transmission professionally
rebuilt.  I added new shocks, and interior (fabric
from SMS) along with new carpet and I recently painted
the hood and front fenders.  I buffed the paint on the
rest of the car.

Here are a couple of jpgs and one video if it comes
out:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/77gremlinx003-1.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/77gremlinx001-1.jpg

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=77gremlinx006.flv

The car runs smooth and has all the power I would
expect from a mid-life 258.  I purloined the air
diverter valve from my Pacer project car and installed
it this weekend, which was the last piece of the smog
equipment puzzle. I fully expect it to pass the smog
test tomorrow morning, then I will drive it to work
frequently.

The tires are circa early-1980s and came from an AMX
which I bought an sold some time ago, but there are
small cracks in the sidewalls from that car sitting on
them as flat tires.  I'll have to monitor them closely
due to their age.

At 75 mph on a side road last evening the car handled
well, but there is some slight jumping from side to
side when the road surface was rough.  I'll get a
front end alignment very soon.  The shocks in the
front are KYB so that may have contributed to the
stiff ride.

The car is fun to drive.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA