Re: [Amc-list] BBD carb 'Adjustment'

A: Make sure the set screw on the choke side is backed off. Try twisting the
body of the carb. If you can, then it's time to come off and tighten the
screws that go up from the bottom. Also recenter the throttle plate by
loosening the screws slightly and look up from the bottom towards a light so
you can move them around and also make sure it opens/closes easily and all
the way.
   You may also have to open the idle stepper up and center/close it to get
the best resulting idle. This is all assuming you have no intake manifold
leak and the PCV hose isn't rotted out or the valve jammed open. Make sure
the power brake booster isn't shot and causing a vacuum leak as well. The
hoses from the intake for the cruise and heater controls could be split
someplace.
   I'm getting ready to pull the one on my '82 Spirit off and sell (along
with the 2 bbl intake. I have several of those '80s intakes now with exhaust
manifolds too)

From: Brien Tourville <hh7x@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] BBD carb 'Adjustment'
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

From: Marty Bricker <mbrickerusn@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] Carb adjustment

I had some problems with my duaghters 83 Spirit with
258 and BBD carb.  I did an ignition/Nutter bypass
and, after setting the timing to 8 BTDC, I can't get
the idles to below 900-950.  All of the adjustment
screws are out (ie, not touching anything) but it
won't adjust any lower.  Car starts and runs great,
just idles a bit high.  Is there an adjustment I'm
missing somewhere?  Thanks.
Marty