Re: [Amc-list] 10 inch drums

The parts stores are largely wrong; AMC had 10" brakes on the V8's all
along. Don't know how early (I just don't ahve the data) but definitely
62 up.

I just mocked up 64 Ambassador 10" brakes on the 63 American. The sole
problem is steering arm/tie rod clearance.

With tall AMC spindles, a small notch in the backing plate edge (the
dust seal) would clear it. The problem is that the drum's outside flange
solidly hits the tie rod end.

I now have one of every drum brake size AMC ever made (backing plate,
drum, shoes, some wheel cyls). I took photos and measurements, and I'll
be making a brake interchange page.

Anyways I will talk to C H Topping (Long Beach CA) about this
predicament. I bet they can either find me a drum, or tell me if cutting
the outer dust seal lip is totally crazy or doable.

To be honest, I'm probably going to bolt on the 9x2.5" brakes from Jim's
Gremlin. That's a no-brainer and a lot more brake surface. That plus
good quality shoes and drum drilling will be fine. But I'll persue the
10" thin because it's got the Cool Factor, besides being kick-ass good
brakes for that little car.

But I have other woes...